Utility Arboriculture – UA2
- Be able to identify a range of common broadleaved and coniferous tree species and be able to comment on their individual timber characteristics and growth rates in relation to overhead powerlines;
- Gain a basic understanding of the factors which might influence a trees growth;
- Understand the significance and hazards associated with epicormic sprout growth, climbing plants, defective trees and trees with dangerous overhang;
- Understand the basic principles of targeted and directional pruning.
- Recognise the importance of site specific/electrical risk assessments and be able to identify and control hazards on a variety of sites;
- Understand the electrical method of work required for dealing with each category of tree;
- Display competence in the use of insulated pole tools for installation of ropes and carrying out pruning operations;
- Understand the importance of the care and maintenance of insulating poles;
- Be able to assess individual trees for hazards prior to felling;
- Demonstrate the safe method of felling trees adjacent to overhead power lines.
The pre-requisites for UA2 are:
UA2.1 – pre-requisite: UA1
UA2.2 – pre-requisites: CS30 or 002003, CS31 or 002004, UA1, UA2.1